Hat tip to Popeye

Protein-packed breakfasts are the best! I consume milk and eggs in abundance, but I'm always on the lookout for other sources of protein to add to my breakfast. I'm not a fan of chicken, so one of the most convenient sources of protein is ruled out for me - though I do make an exception for the occasional cold cut. I have been trying to tap more vegetarian sources of protein, and inspired by something I saw on a Greatist article, I decided to experiment with spinach.

Spinach is delicious and possibly underrated in our cuisine because of how little we do with it (read: palak paneer). Its protein content is not as substantial as meat, but depending on the quantity being consumed, you can get some bang for your buck. Its other benefits include high iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, magnesium and manganese content, not to mention the fact that it's very low in calories. All in all, a good addition to your breakfast.

If you were to instead utilize spinach to make palak paneer, you would probably get a lot more protein out of it because of the sheer quantity of spinach involved. But it's also nice to sometimes really enjoy the flavour and texture of a vegetable rather than murdering it in a blender (disclaimer: I love palak paneer, and will be eating it for dinner tonight).

The preparation is simple - heat a pan, put in a generous amount of olive oil and chopped garlic. Add the spinach after washing thoroughly and de-stalking. Then break a couple of eggs on this yummy bed of greens to get what looks like this: 

You can have the eggs sunny side up but I prefer my egg yolk to not be runny, so I always double fry my eggs. Which gets them to look like this.

Today I also added some sour cheese on top, which has travelled a long way from Turkey with a friend. While this cheese is amazing, it doesn't add so much to this spinach-egg preparation because it tends to interfere with the spinach experience (taste and texture both). So it's probably better to eat the cheese on the side.


This is my breakfast in entirety: fried eggs on spinach, mashed boiled potato, more eggs (scrambled eggs cooked with mushrooms and bell peppers by the husband), and a banana-cashew-chocolate smoothie.

Comments

  1. A friend of mine made this amazing Japanese spinach dish that I can highly recommend http://www.justonecookbook.com/spinach-with-sesame-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That looks amazing. :) Will give it a shot with my limited ingredients.

      Delete

Post a Comment