Air pollution acquisitions

If you live inside Delhi/NCR and outside of denial, chances are that you would have noticed the steadily deteriorating air quality. When weather apps use words like "smoke", "haze" and "ground fog" to describe the climatic conditions, it's probably time to sit up and take note.

Last Saturday, while driving to NOIDA, I looked out of my car window to find that both sides of the DND flyover looked as though they were covered in an invisibility cloak. A day later, it was just as well that I overslept and missed my customary Sunday bike ride, because when I drove to Khan Market later in the day to meet a friend for brunch, my eyes were burning from the particulate matter in the air (this was with my car windows rolled down just a little bit - imagine the fate of greater exposure).

I had written about the dip in air quality about a fortnight ago, fearing the worst around Diwali, but the pollution levels a week before D-Day are already quite alarming. In part, we have farmers from Punjab and Haryana to blame, who continue to burn their crops with impunity for yet another year.

The burning of trash is another major contributor to the increase in particulate matter in the air. Wall Street Journal reports:

"On average, 190 to 246 tons of trash are burned in New Delhi each day throughout both summer and winter, they calculated. That’s equivalent to the weight of 95 to 122 average-sized U.S. cars."

In this post, I will discuss two new acquisitions in the face of air pollution in Delhi.

The SAFAR-Air application

The first acquisition is an app called 'SAFAR-Air', available on both the Android Play Store and the Apple App Store. Of late, I have found that the US Embassy Air Quality Data website has not been functioning as well as it used to, erroneously displaying a value of zero for Delhi's particulate matter (if only that were really true!). The SAFAR app is a better way to track the particulate matter data across different areas in Delhi.

 
  
Screenshots from the SAFAR app

I find that there continues to be a great deal of skepticism about exactly how terrible Delhi's air is. There are people who dismiss cold hard facts about Delhi's air with flippant statements like "oh, but Bombay's air is worse" (incidentally not true, since Delhi retains a lot more particulate matter than Bombay given its land-locked nature). And those who think that the sudden onset of a persistent cough is attributable merely to the "change in weather". Folks, it's time to wake up and smell the smog. Installing an app that gives you figures about Delhi's air on a minutely basis may well be the way to come to terms with the harsh reality about our environmental conditions.

This app will certainly not improve the air, but it fulfills the simple function of creating awareness about exactly what you are subjecting yourself to when you step out of home on any given day, and maybe that will compel you to take some precautions. I will admit, however, that this app will depress you and may well make you a sloth. When I woke up to my early morning alarm yesterday, fully intending to cycle, I checked the app to ascertain the air quality. It hovered in the "poor" range, compelling me to stay at home and do some indoor exercises instead. Something tells me there will be many days this winter when I will be constrained to be a home bunny, doing bodyweight exercises in my relatively safe burrow.

The Vogmask air pollution mask

I have managed to sustain yet another exotic injury (pes anserine bursitis or 'breaststroker's knee) caused by either running or swimming or both. The only thing that seems to help is cycling. Sadly, cycling is the activity involving maximum exposure to pollution, since it's impossible to avoid roads and traffic. I decided to look into an air pollution mask to reduce my level of exposure to the air. This was my second acquisition.

A helpful resource with information on pollution masks is the Delhi Air website, which directed me to Vogmask, from where I ultimately bought my mask. I must commend Vogmask on their excellent service - I received the product in less than 24 hours from the time I placed the order, and shipping was free.

The first thing you will realize on commencing your hunt for pollution masks is that they don't come cheap. The one I bought was discounted to Rs. 1,500 from its MRP of Rs. 2,000 and the information that came with it indicates that in Delhi's level of pollution, this mask will be good for only about 80-160 hours of usage. Living in a polluted city is an expensive proposition, and now we better suck it up and pay the price.

Un-boxing Vogmask

AQI and Vogmask's longevity

So I woke up this morning, looked at the disheartening rating on the SAFAR website, and then decided to brave the roads with my new pollution mask. I found that the Vogmask mask is by and large effective for filtering the air, though the fit could be a little more snug (I guess the fit depends largely on the size of your head, though the size chart on the Vogmask website is based on body weight). The few times I lowered the mask to take sips of water from my hydration pack, I could feel the discernible difference in air. Based on today's experience, I would highly recommend using a mask with an in-built filter for undertaking outdoor activities in the city, particularly on roads.

Air pollution Wishlist

There are two more items I intend to buy in due course for mitigating the effects of the toxic air.

1. Cycling goggles

I don't know if I am particularly sensitive, but I find that exposure to particulate matter makes my eyes sting and burn. I am looking buy a pair of cycling goggles that may help with this problem, though I'm not entirely sure it will.

2. Air purifier

A good air purifier seems like a worthwhile investment, so that the intake of clean air can be guaranteed at least while sleeping. Once again, Delhi Air has compiled a helpful list of options.

***

At the time of writing this post, the particulate matter count in most parts of NCR is between 200 and 300, for which, it is prescribed: "People with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should avoid all physical activity outdoors. Everyone else should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion." Certain parts of NCR are currently experiencing particulate matter in excess of 300, when "Everyone should avoid all physical activity outdoors; people with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should remain indoors and keep activity levels low." I have no doubt that these figures will hover in the range of 500 on Diwali. After being choked on Diwali, NCR will have a tough time recovering and going back to lower amounts of particulate matter.

A decade ago in school we were made aware of the harmful effects of firecrackers and advised to refrain from using them at Diwali. That was a time when people in the city could look up and see blue skies and white clouds. It's going to be a while before we see that in Delhi next (maybe wait for Summer 2016) and the issue of not using firecrackers is no longer within the realm of civic niceties, but a grave matter requiring urgent intervention. Each one of us should examine our actions as a matter of moral responsibility, assessing their consequences not just with regard to the most vulnerable sections of society today (the infants, the elderly and the homeless, to name a few) but also the sustainability of carrying on life - including outdoor activities that we love - with any semblance of normalcy in the days to come.

Comments